Amber Owen wanted to be a florist since she was eight years old. She remembers going into flower shops with her mother and grandmother and loving the smells, colors, flower, and candy. Today her childhood dream is a reality. She owns and operates Sweet Peas Florist, a small business located in Star City, Arkansas.
While in college she knew floral design was where her heart was and after earning an FACS degree specializing in interior design, her internship was done in Atlanta with flowers.
She moved back to her home town of Star City, Arkansas after graduation and her family built the retail building where Sweet Peas is currently located. Sweet Pea was the nickname of her cocker spaniel and the birth month flower for the month of April, also the month of the store’s opening.
I got to photograph Amber’s beautiful family this fall and we did some shots of her and the children with flowers to display in her shop. You can often find her there working with her mother or grandmother; it’s a family operation.
You can find Amber on her facebook page where she does weekly give-aways.
Amber’s tips for non traditional times to send flowers:
1. Send your mother flowers on your birthday.
2. Send flowers the first week at a new job or start of school.
3. Send flowers as a sympathy gesture weeks after the loss of a loved one when the other flowers have faded.
4. Send flowers in appreciation of an act of kindness, shown to you or witnessed.
5. Send flowers in the loss of a pet.